Ayurveda-Based Vitiligo Treatment
White Patches Treatments Through Natural Therapies and Medication
Treating Vitiligo (or Leucoderma): A Holistic Approach
Affecting around 1% of the population, vitiligo
is a common skin condition that causes white patches or spots to appear on the skin. Key facts surrounding this condition include:
- Around 1% of the population has vitiligo and it is equally prevalent in both men and women. The condition occurs among all ethnicities and skin types. It may appear more noticeable among those of darker skin tones.
- Vitiligo can spread itself across any part of the body. It commonly appears on one’s hands, feet, lips, and eye area.
- It is also not contagious or life-threatening, but it may lead to mental stress or damage to one’s self-confidence.
There is a wide variety of medical treatments available for those with vitiligo. These range from steroid creams to light therapies, to surgery.
As a natural skin clinic, however, our professionals take the ayurvedic
route in treating our patients. This approach targets the general health of one’s physical body and psychological well-being.
Schedule time with us
Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest “holistic” approaches to physical and mental health. Its origins stem from over 3,000 years ago in India.
Rather than combating disease, Ayurveda aims to promote good overall health. Those who practice this healing system believe that optimum health is achieved through a delicate balance between one’s emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being.
In Ayurveda, the primary elements that govern the human body are called “doshas”.
Of these doshas, the “vata”
and “bhrajaka pitta”
reside in the skin, and need proper balance to avoid aggravation. We use a mix of therapies and topical applications to achieve this balance, with diet and lifestyle recommendations to pacify one’s “pitta” and achieve bodily cleansing.
Our Ayurvedic Treatments for Vitiligo
Purification and Massage Therapies
Ayurvedic treatment for vitiligo traditionally begins with medicated purgation.
This is then followed by massages for further detoxification. Using oil and herbs, our massages target areas of the body that experience the most stress or tension. Such treatment helps in restoring your physical and inner balance.
Keeping your “bhrajaka pitta” in a proper state involves the right diet and lifestyle. Patients can receive recommended diet plans to help them avoid or minimize any pitta-aggravating foods. These include fermented fruits, chilies, and those overly-processed or laden with salt.
By default, “pitta” is considered oily, hot, sharp, light, and spreading. Therefore, patients are often advised to eat foods that neutralize these qualities.
Traditional Herbal Treatments
Our professionals also make use of traditional ayurvedic herbs in the treatment of vitiligo. These are applied either topically on one’s skin or orally consumed. Such treatments help decrease the appearance of white patches or minimize the extent of the patient’s vitiligo.
Herbs commonly used include:
- Bakuchi (Psoralea corylifolia) – a popular herbal treatment used in ayurvedic medication; effective in reducing white patches and rejuvenating the skin.
- Neem (Azadirachta indica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) – both herbs help destroy free radicals in the body, and are commonly used in treating symptoms of vitiligo and leucoderma.
- Giloe (Tinospora cordifolia) – a herb that helps treat and correct the abnormalities of one’s immune system (and is thus effective in treating vitiligo, as the condition is an autoimmune disease)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) – an herb used to treat and manage a wide range of skin diseases, helping restore one’s normal complexion and preventing the progress of skin conditions
Though unable to directly treat or cure illnesses, disease, or health conditions; yoga has proven to offer significant mental and physical benefits. Our professionals can advise patients on effective yoga postures or routines to provide them with supportive therapy throughout their healing process.
Receive the Vitiligo Treatment You Deserve Today
Our clinic prides itself in offering patients safe, all-natural, and gentle methods for achieving optimum skin, mental, and physical health.
today for the advice and treatment you need.